Mateta Takes Palace Contract Dispute to Fifa as Eagles Face Testing Start
Jean-Philippe Mateta is challenging the validity of the final year of his Crystal Palace contract, taking his case to world football's governing body, Fifa. The France international has launched an official challenge over the final 10 months of his deal at Selhurst Park, which is due to expire in June 2027.
Mateta, who started Palace's Premier League opener at Everton on Saturday, joined the club in 2021 from Mainz 05 on an initial 18-month loan. He signed a four-and-a-half-year contract when the move was made permanent in January 2022, with the deal including an option for a 12-month extension. Palace activated that option in 2024, meaning the 29-year-old's current contract is set to end at the conclusion of this season.
The striker is now claiming the optional extra year should be void. His case was heard by an independent tribunal under Premier League rules, and while there has been no official confirmation of the outcome, it is understood the contract remained binding. Mateta has since taken his argument to Fifa, who ruled earlier this week that overruling the contract is not within its jurisdiction.
What Would a Void Contract Mean for Mateta and Palace?
If Mateta had successfully argued his contract is void, it would potentially set the wheels in motion towards the forward becoming a free agent before the expiry of his Palace deal next year. The striker has become a key figure for the club since his arrival, scoring 67 goals and playing a major role in the historic FA Cup and Uefa Conference League triumphs under former manager Oliver Glasner.
However, Mateta pushed to leave Palace in January this year and was close to joining AC Milan. The deal fell through because of an issue with the striker's knee.
Problems Pile Up for New Palace Manager Pierre Sage
It was not the best opening day for Crystal Palace. Ismaila Sarr was not included in the matchday squad, with new manager Pierre Sage revealing he has been struggling with an injury. Sources have indicated that Sarr has not trained for the last two days, complaining of a groin issue, amid interest from Turkish side Galatasaray.
Palace do not want to sell their star forward, who scored 21 goals in all competitions last season as the Eagles won the Community Shield and the Conference League. One source has said that the interest from Galatasaray is concrete but that only a bid well above market value would even be considered.
Meanwhile, defender Chadi Riad was stretchered off with a serious knee injury in the 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park. Riad has been affected by knee injuries since joining Palace in 2024, suffering an issue in his second game for the club. Back-to-back knee injuries saw him absent from the squad for more than 400 days.
You never want to see an injury, Chadi has battled with injuries throughout his career here, my prayers go out to him. We will rally around him, this season is for Chadi.
Palace defender Chris Richards told BBC Match of the Day.
Mateta's Cult Hero Status Under Threat
The contract situation with Mateta is the latest twist in a rollercoaster time for the Frenchman at Crystal Palace. The 29-year-old has become a cult hero at the Eagles due to his trademark celebration where he kicks the corner flag to shouts of
